Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A New Perspective on Acceptance

In one of my random readings, a statement of principles from hedge fund trader Ray Dalio (like I said, random) I came into a new view of an old counseling idea - Acceptance.

Now, I've known the idea of Acceptance for a long time. To me, it's been part of love, part of "accepting someone as they are" (I am saying this in a soft, therapist-y voice). A soft thing. A choice. A gift.

Dalio introduced me to a different viewpoint on Acceptance. In his mind, it is part of hyper-realism. Of taking the world as it is, not as you want it to be. Thus, Acceptance is the smartest choice. It's not a gift to anyone else. It's a gift to yourself to accept things as they are, as you can then deal with them accurately and most effectively.

To me, it really means less fighting with the world.

What do you think?

Best, Peter
Counseling in Seattle, Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment